10 Tips for Making Your Resume Stand Out
Before heading to the Cherokee Career Expo and hitting “submit” on your next application, here are 10 tips to help your resume stand out:
- Take time to research the new role and customize your cover letter. Employers are busy so make sure to include easily identifiable contact information; hard-to-find information may result in a missed opportunity. And we can’t stress this enough – always use a professional email address.
- Don’t brag about your responsibilities – write about the results.
- Keep it concise – share about your personal development and the expansion of your skills over time.
- Identify a problem you helped your organization solve and the results of that action. If there is a quantitative number tied to the result, add it.
- Update your LinkedIn and ask a former mentor/coworker to recommend your work. Use LinkedIn as your platform or online portfolio to showcase achievements.
- Proofread, always: “A Panda eats, shoots, and leaves” is different from “A Panda eats shoots and leaves.”
- Keep the visuals simple and design your resume to be quickly skimmed.
- Don’t forget to use keywords related to the job you’re applying for. Avoid cliches.
- Name it right – use your full name and make your filename easy to spot.
- Always follow up with a thank you letter.
- Have a million-dollar personality? Consider creating a video resume.
Need personalized one-on-one resume assistance to help you articulate your professional value to employers? Representatives will be available on-site at the upcoming Cherokee Career Expo on September 28, 2022, beginning at 1 p.m. at the Northside Cherokee Conference Center. If you have been thinking about making a life change or rediscovering your “why,” now is YOUR time.