The City of Canton is currently recruiting for the position of Community Development Director. This position is a highly visible executive-level position and requires an individual with experience to plan, direct, and oversee the development and implementation of a comprehensive official community plan through the development and application of land use policy and administration. The candidate for this position for this position must have the ability to effectively manage department staff as well as provide guidance, leadership, direction and oversee the daily operation of the Community Development Department. The candidate for this position must possess the ability to work well within a city government structure including but not limited to the Mayor, City Council members, elected officials, cross-jurisdictional partners, decision making stakeholders, internal staff, external partners, and citizens. A successful candidate must possess an in-depth knowledge of the key principles of community development including urban planning, land use analysis, sustainability, and inclusivity.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
The work consists of varied administrative, supervisory, and management duties. This position is highly complex and requires the incumbent to be knowledgeable in many areas in order to effectively carry out the total function of the position. Although the core function is planning and development, the incumbent must be able to provide directions to Housing, Zoning, Planning, Code Compliance and CDBG Divisions and various appointed boards. These divisions depend on the Community Development Director to coordinate the various work activities into an effective and efficient end result. Beyond the leadership and direction that is required for management of the divisions, the director must be able to effectively supervise their staff of professional and clerical personnel assigned to the Community Development Department.
This position requires an experienced, customer service oriented and forward-thinking person with strong communication and presentation skills in order to respond confidently to questions from the Board of Appeals, City Council, and various citizen groups. The person in this position will play a key role in advancing the City's long-range planning by updating and implementing the City's Comprehensive Plan.
The purpose of this position is to ensure that the city is developing plans and strategies to create a sustainable community consistent with the policy direction of the City Council. The position is expected to ensure that the city is equitably and reasonably enforcing all zoning and code regulations and ordinances related to development activities. Successful performance helps ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of those operations.
- Baccalaureate degree required; master's degree, preferred in Public Administration, Urban or Regional Planning, Civil Engineering, Architecture, or related occupational field.
- Experience sufficient to thoroughly understand the diverse objectives and functions of the department in order to direct and coordinate work within the division/department, usually interpreted to require five (5) to seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in planning, zoning, community development, economic development, and project management at a senior planner level or higher with at least two (2) years at the director's level, preferably within a public agency.
- Professional certification with the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) is strongly preferred.
- Local government planning experience preferred.
- Knowledgeable of the principles of local government planning, economic and community development, new urbanism, smart growth strategies and strategic planning procedures.
Starting salary for this position is $105,000. A higher wage may be negotiated dependent upon education and experience.
Interested, for the full job description and more information about City of Canton's benefits & retirement go to https://www.cantonga.gov/government/careers